In June 1942 Mr. P O'Dea was cutting turf with other local men in a bog near Ironpool. During their work they they uncovered a nicely polished stone bracer. This instrument was used by archers to protect their wrists from the the recoil of the bow string when shooting the arrow. The bracer itself was 11.4 cm long and made of local flint. It had a hole at each end. These bracers were often found in graves of early bronze age along with pottery. the possible date for the bracer in approx 1600 BC.
|Click here to go back to History Page|