|Kilconly National School Today|
In 1864 the education Act was set up by British government. This allowed for the provision of Primary Education in Ireland. These state schools used the English language only. Irish history and the Catholic Religion were not allowed to be taught. At that time, most people in Rural Ireland spoke only Irish.
In Tuam diocese the Archbishop John Mc Hale opposed these schools so few were built and no Catholics attend them.
In Kilconly Parish the children attend "Hedge Schools," and were taught by travelling teachers. Not until the 1900's were the First Government schools built in this Parish.
The local landlord Fredrick Lewin provided a site for a school in Kilconly Village. The school was called after the estate, Castlegrove and the first pupils attended here on 6th April 1903. Brooklawn school was constructed in 60's and Tobberoe in 1971.
In the late 1960's due to falling numbers the three schools in the Kilconly area were amalgamated .A new modern school constructed in 1975 and was called after the patron saint of the parish St. Conleth.
By Noelle Keane And Ciara Treacy, St. Conleths N.S.,Kilconly 1999.
|Click here to go back to Buildings Page|
|Tubberoe National School today|