Kilconly Church

The first church built in Kilconly was built in 1664 by Rev. Bernard Henry and was across the public road from the present church. The only remaining part of the original church is a tablet in the sacristy which reads "Pater Bernardus Henry hoc altare erexit Anno Domini 1664".

The present day church was commenced by in 1830 by Rev James Boland at an expense of 1,500 but Rev Boland never got to see the finished church as he accidentally drowned at Louisburgh while bathing. The church is built in a cruciform shape in a plain Gothic design and was completed by Father Michael Gibbons P.P. (an uncle of Dr. MacEvilly, Archbishop of Tuam). Both the interior and exterior of the church have changed substantially in the years it has been built and with the removal of the two galleries that where either side of the alter and the changing of the alter from marble to timber. On the exterior of the church new porches where built and some of the doors where moved.

Inside Kilconly Church
Inside Kilconly Church

102.23 Kb
Kilconly Church
Kilconly Church

94.99 Kb
  Click here to go back to Buildings Page